Here are 11 characteristics of an Indian in America.
1) His house smells of sambhar, spices and curry that subdues any smell around. An irresistible invite to those who love spicy Indian food and otherwise to those who cannot stand strong smells.
2) He drives a Toyota Something – the favorite immigrant car.
3) His kids go to Kumon Learning Centre as soon as they start school. They dream of Harvard while still in cradle.
4) His wife has to be in the visa wives club. Dependent ladies who hate as well as love to be here. The Ideal Indian Maid (helper) is sorely missed at all gatherings.
5) His weekend haunt is the noisy, nostalgic Indian Store that smells of India.
6) He is torn between the decision to stay here and go back to India. He keeps toying with the idea.
7) He mentally converts dollars into rupees on seeing a price tag.
8) He likes to show off American accent when talking to smitten relatives back in India.
9) He tries to mix, be a part of the cool American crowd but stands out due to brown skin and self conscious mannerism.
10) Bollywood films and patriotic speeches can move him to tears.
11) He tries to carry WTH attitude, but these words can rattle him – ‘Executive Order by the President’.
If you see yourself in the caricature, enjoy it and if you don’t, still enjoy it! It is written just for fun… nirmal anand!
Images courtesy Google