I felt grateful today. And subsequently, on top of the world!
There was no particular reason to be happy actually I was quite morose. I just happened to remember the popular hymn, which we sang everyday in our school assembly...Count your blessings name them one by one.
But I did not want to count my blessings. I wanted to feel sorry for myself and indulge in self-pity. So, I started counting all the bad things that were happening to me. I wrote:
1. I don’t like the shape of my body after two pregnancies.
2. I am too busy with the household and kids to do whatever I want.
3. I want to go out but the climatic conditions are not suitable here.
4. I know people bitch about me behind my back.
5. All my dreams of making it big is shattered in this mundane existence.
There were many more bad things I wanted to write and write about. But somehow as I re-read the bad things. I thought those were just half-a-truth. There was something parallel attached to each one of it. So, I added a sentence to each:
1. I don’t like the shape of my body after two pregnancies. But I have two lovely kids who are the world to me.
2. I am too busy with the household and kids to do whatever I want. But they are the cutest responsibilities, I cannot miss on their childhood for anything.
3. I want to go out but the climatic conditions are not suitable here. That’s why we make the best of staying indoors and enjoy some cosy family time.
4. I know people bitch about me behind my back. I am happy because at least I am not forgotten.
5. All my dreams of making it big is shattered in this mundane existence. Well, at least I have dreams and it is never too late!
Now, the second five point draft was closer to the truth. I felt good. So, I actually started counting my blessings. They were endless…I could think, I could write, I could walk, I could eat, I could laugh, I had loved ones and friends, I was not poor, I could draw well, I could explore the world…the list was endless. And the biggest of all blessings was…I was alive and so were my hopes!
As I started contemplating on my blessings, I could not help praying and thanking god for all I had and even for those I did not have. Because I felt If God denied us something, it is for our own good.
All of us have big and small problems. But no problem comes without a solution, sooner or later. We need to adjust and focus on the blessings attached it. I am sure ..there is always a blessing, we just need to find it! And we need to be grateful. If we are blind, we need to be grateful that we have our two hands intact. And if we do not have limbs, we should be grateful to have a thinking mind.
I found out that gratitude is really…the magic feel good potion that nourishes us from within. So, rather than wasting time in feeling sorry for myself and cursing the world, I will count my blessings from now…
If you want to feel good, join!